By Lailany P. Gomez | Nov. 29, 2013 at 12:04am [ manilastandardtoday.com ]
The Transportation Department said Thursday all the seven pre-qualified groups submitted technical and financial bids for the P17.5-billion Mactan-Cebu International Airport project, indicating the private sector’s strong interest in the first airport project under the public-private partnership scheme.
“The high turnout is proof that investors are confident in our PPP program. We want to sustain the momentum from this project to the next ones in our pipeline,” said Transportation Department spokesman Michael Arthur Sagcal.
Sagcal said the agency’s special bids and awards committee would have 20 days to evaluate all the technical bid proposals submitted by the groups, before opening the financial bids.
The seven groups that submitted the bids were AAA Airport Partners led by the Ayala and Aboitiz conglomerates; the Filinvest-CAI Airport consortium; the Lopez group’s First Philippine Airports; the GMR Infrastructure and Megawide consortium; the MPIC-JGS Airport consortium of businessmen Manuel Pangilinan and John Gokongwei; SM’s Premier Airport Group; and the San Miguel-Incheon Airport consortium.
The roster of foreign airport operators that teamed up with the local conglomerates included ADC & HAS of Houston Airport, Malaysia Airports Berhad, Singapore’s Changi Airport, South Korea’s Incheon Airport, France’s Aeroports de Lyon, Switzerland’s Zurich Airport and India’s Delhi Airports.
The National Economic and Development Authority earlier approved the amended terms of the MCIA project. The project aims to modernize the country’s second-largest aviation hub with the construction of a new world-class international passenger terminal building to accommodate 8 million passengers annually.
It will also renovate the existing terminal building, which has been operating over the capacity with 6.7 million passengers.
The Transportation Department’s P1.72-billion automatic fare collection system also garnered strong interest from five consortiums last week.
The agency’s special bids and awards committee is now evaluating the technical proposals submitted for both the AFCS and MCIA projects and expects to proceed to the opening and evaluation of financial proposals in December.
Meanwhile, the bidding process for the P64.9-billion Light Rail Transit Line 1 Cavite extension project will begin next week, when the transport agency publishes its invitation to bid.