By Alena Mae S. Flores | Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:01am [ manilastandardtoday.com ]
The government will pursue the expansion of Clark International Airport, despite the proposed construction of a new airport in Sangley Point, Cavite, the Transportation Department said Monday.
Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Aguinaldo Abaya said Clark International Airport Corp. was set to present a proposal to the National Economic and Development Authority–Investment Coordination Committee for a new masterplan next month.
CIAC, which completed the expansion of the existing passenger terminal in May, will also submit a feasibility study for a low-cost carrier terminal.
The Transportation Department and CIAC earlier this year commissioned Aeroports de Paris, which owns and operates French airports, to prepare the masterplan for Clark Airport’s longer-term development.
“ADP presented its concept design for a new LCC terminal to DoTC and CIAC officials last month, and CIAC is now scheduled to present this proposal to the National Economic and Development Authority–Investment Coordination Committee in August,” Abaya said in a statement.
The proposed budget terminal aims to boost Clark airport’s capacity to 8 million to 16 million passengers a year.
“We are hoping for a smooth process in order for the project to be completed within 2016,” Abaya said.
He said the improvement in Clark Airport presented exciting new developments and signaled greater economic progress for Clark and Central Luzon in the coming years.
“We at the DoTC are encouraging its growth by equipping the airport with modern facilities to meet passenger demands today and in the future, and we hope that CRK will indeed become the low-cost carrier hub of choice for the region,” he said.
The government will continue to invest in Clark aerotropolis’ development and prepare it as an international hub alongside the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and the Sangley airport.
“We see CRK as a premier gateway alongside Naia and Sangley, especially in view of its rapid growth over the past few years, as well as government’s development plans for the entire economic zone and the rest of the region. This is the direction we are taking for presentation to the President, for his consideration,” Abaya said.