By Darwin G. Amojelar | Jun. 08, 2015 at 11:00pm [ manilastandardtoday.com ]
Manila North Tollways Corp. said it will spend P8.6 billion to extend the North Luzon Expressway to Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.
MNTC president and chief executive Rodrigo Franco told reporters the construction cost of the NLEX Segment 8.2 or the C5 link would amount to P8.6 billion, while the government would finance the right-of-way acquisition amounting to P1.9 billion.
The 7.85-kilometer C5 link will start from the end of Segment 8.1 at Mindanao Ave. and end at Commonwealth Ave. in Quezon City.
Franco said the C5 link aimed to decongest Metro Manila as it would provide alternative access to mainline NLEX further east of Metro Manila, bypassing Edsa and Balintawak toll plaza.
“It will Improve transport logistics and operational efficiency with more efficient movement of trucks and haulers in and out of the ports located in Manila,” he said.
Franco said the company expected to start the construction of the project in the second half of 2015 and to be completed in 2019.
“We’re now talking with the LGU [local government unit] of Quezon City and DPWH [Department of Public Works and Highways] so that we can clear the right of way,” he said.
The P11.5-billion Segment 10 of NLEX, which started construction in June last year, is expected to be completed by the third quarter of 2016.
Daily traffic for Segment 10 is projected to reach 30,000 vehicles.
The company is also building the P18-billion NLEX-SLEX connector road project, which is up for a Swiss Challenge in the third quarter of the year.
The NLEX-SLEX connector will include a five-kilometer common alignment from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines campus to Buendia in Makati City.
The common alignment would be financed by Citra Metro Manila Tollways Corp., which is separately constructing the P26.7-billion Skyway Stage 3 Project.
The NLEX-SLEX connector road is expected to be completed by 2017, about a year later than its original target of June 2015.