by Macon Ramos-Araneta
[ manilastandardtoday.com ] November 26, 2010
THE Presidential Commission on Good Government has asked the Sandiganbayan’s First Division to rule on the 18.4-hectare Payanig sa Pasig property that is the object of a four-way dispute among the government, the Marcos family, private land developers, and human rights victims.
Government lawyers said issuing a summary judgment on the case would resolve all the pending motions to intervene.
In a fifth motion to resolve filed last Nov. 24, the PCGG said it had already filed four previous motions to resolve dated Aug. 10, 2001; July 11, 2003; Feb. 1, 2005 and July 31, 2009, but up to this time, the motion for summary judgment has remained unresolved.
After more than a decade, PCGG said the anti-graft has not yet come with a decision on the case.
PCGG also cited the anti-graft court’s declaration in an order dated Oct. 26,1998, that declared said motion was “submitted for resolution.”
“In the meantime several incidents have emanated, among which are the motions for intervention filed by other parties that unduiy delayed the proceeding in the case,” said the PCGG in its latest motion.
Among those who claimed ownership of the Pasig prime lot, suspected as part of the Marcos ill-gotten wealth, are Ortigas and Company Limited Partnership and Ricardo Silvero of Anchor Estate Corp., among others.
OCLP and Silverio both alleged the late President Ferdinand Marcos coerced them into giving up their rights over the property for a losing price in 1968. It was bought at P6.4 million or only P40 per square meter, they said.
In February 1990, Francisco Ortigas Jr., president of OLCP filed a lawsuit before the anti-graft court to recover the property from the government. Silverio filed his own claim two years later.
Blemp Commercial Philippines Inc., a firm identified with Ilocos Sur Gov. Luis ‘Chavit’ Singson, also filed a request for intervention last August at the Sandiganbayan to stake its claim on the property.