Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013
The National Housing Authority (NHA) currently has 10 housing projects in various stages of development and construction that will generate some 6,000 housing units for informal settler families (ISFs) living in danger areas in Metro Manila, Vice President Jejomar C. Binay said Thursday.
“We are currently constructing 6,426 housing units worth P3.2 billion that will be used in relocating ISFs currently living in danger zones,”the Vice President said.
Binay said the 10 projects include the Smokey Mountain Development Project; the Tala 2 Medium Rise Building and Camarin housing projects in Caloocan City; Pleasant Hills in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan; Gulayan and Tanglaw in Navotas; MMDA Depot in Pasig City; the National Government Center housing project in Quezon City; Disiplina Village 2 in Valenzuela; and the Navotas Housing Project.
Binay, who chairs the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), said the housing units will be part of the housing relocation program for some 18,000 ISFs living in six priority waterways in Metro Manila identified by NHA that will be cleared this year.
The Vice President also revealed 55 percent of the ISFs identified by NHA are located in Quezon City and Manila.
"Based on the data gathered by the NHA from local government units in 2011, 31,275 ISFs comprising 30 percent of families are living in danger zones in Quezon City, while 26,029 families or 25 percent are in Manila," he said.
Meanwhile, Binay said he was in favor of sanctions against local government officials, especially barangay chairpersons, who tolerate the proliferation of ISFs in danger zones.
Binay said local officials sometimes allow ISFs to return to danger zones even after they have already been relocated.
“(The ISFs) would not return if there is no negligence in the part of local officials, especially the barangay captains.That is why when I was still mayor I told my barangay captains they are the ones at fault if problems (involving ISFs) occur," he said.
“They return one at a time. Sometimes they arrive using pushcarts," he added.
The NHA previously identified the Pasig River, stretching from Manila, Mandaluyong, Makati and Pasig; the San Juan River, covering Manila, Mandaluyong, San Juan, and Quezon City; Tullahan river spanning Quezon City, Caloocan, Malabon, and Valenzuela; the Manggahan Floodway in Pasig; Maricaban Creek in Pasay, Makati, and Taguig; and the Tripa de Gallina covering Makati and Pasay.
“These are some of the biggest waterways in Metro Manila that we consider danger zones,” the Vice President said.
“The rest of the affected ISFs will be relocated in Balagtas, Bocaue and San Jose del Monte, Bulacan and Trece Martirez, Cavite,” he added.
Binay said aside from ISFs living in the six main waterways, the NHA will also relocate around 1,500 families living along Estero de Sunog Apog and Estero de Maypajo in Manila.
The Vice President said the project is part of the P50 billion allocation made by President Benigno S. Aquino III for the relocation of some 100,000 ISFs living in danger areas.