Vol. XXI, No. 156 [ Business World Online ]
Monday, March 10, 2008 | MANILA, PHILIPPINES
BACOLOD CITY — Owners of a property that now serves as a dump site for Bacolod City are demanding payment from the city government for the use of their property.
Unless they get paid within 30 days from receipt of their demand letter, the landowners threatened to shut down the 70,000-square meter landfill.
Ester A. Lopez of Dynasty Agricultural Corp., in her letter to Mayor Evelio R. Leonardia dated Feb. 22, said they are demanding compensation of P600 per square meter or a total of about P42 million.
She said the city government has used the property as a dump site for free for about three years now.
"The dump site has adversely affected the productivity of our adjacent lots and we believe it is high time the city compensates us for the use of our property," she claimed.
Extension of deadline
Councilor Greg Gasataya, chairman of the committee on environment and ecology, said the city council last week passed a resolution requesting the mayor to ask the property owners for an extension of their deadline.
The clean and green coordinating team, which he chairs, met on Tuesday and recommended that the mayor be requested to convene the appraisal committee to appraise the property.
The appraisal committee is composed of the offices of the city engineer, city treasurer and city assessor.
The city engineer’s office and the Department of Public Services surveyed the area Thursday and their report would be endorsed to the mayor, Mr. Gasataya said.
The city planning and development office and other members of the technical working group will also prepare the requirements necessary for the property to be used as a dump site, Mr. Gasataya said.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has issued an environmental compliance certificate for a controlled dump site, he added. — Chrysee G. Samillano
